Are You Feeling Stressed Out? 30 Ways to Relax In Under 30 Minutes This Christmas!
The holiday season is a time of rest, relaxation, and connecting with family and friends… At least it should be.
However, for many of us the holiday season is also a time of stress. The American Psychological Association reports that as many as 75% of Americans reported feeling stressed over the holiday season. Albert Yeung, M.D., Director of Primary Care Studies at the Depression Clinical and Research Program at MGH, reports:
“During the holidays, a buildup of stress can negatively affect your health, so it’s important to take some time to unwind and release tension when holiday obligations make you feel obligated and anxious.”
Finding ways to relax during this season can help you cope with the increased demands, lack of sleep, family conflict, and financial stress!
To help you relax this holiday season, we came up with a list of 30 ways that you can unwind and relax in under 30 minutes (because we know you are busy)!
1. Go for a walk.
2. Look through old family photos.
3. Watch your favourite TV show.
4, Read a book.
5. Take 10 deep breaths.
6. Write a list of what you are thankful for this season.
7. Listen to your favourite Christmas music.
8. Play a game with your family.
9. Reflect on what the season is truly about! (Write down your favourite quote/verse and post it on your fridge to read when you are feeling stressed out!)
10. Journal. Keep a pen and notepad beside your bed. Before you go to sleep jot down three things you were grateful for that day. Continue daily over the holiday season. Practicing gratitude through writing helps us stay mindful of all that which is good in our lives. Acknowledging what is going well helps us spread compassion and practice patience for what is not going well. – Cree Lambeck RP.
11. Put away your phone for 30 minutes and focus on being present with your family and friends.
12. Take a bath!
13. Wake up 30 minutes before the kids, so you can have 30 minutes of peace and quiet!
14. Play a board game. Settlers of Catan is a favourite over here!
15. Do a puzzle.
16. Use the 3-4-5 method of breathing to calm yourself.
17. Make yourself a healthy meal.
18. Turn on a 30 minute yoga video from Youtube (or other type of exercise)! There is significant research showing the positive impact that yoga/exercise can have on your mood and levels of stress! Have fun doing this with the whole family if you don’t have time to do it alone!
19. Take a nap!
20. Read the Christmas story with your family.
21. Paint your nails.
22. Get outside and play in the snow!
23. Pray about your stress, worries, and thankfulness!
24. Find 5 things you can see, 4 things you can hear, 3 things you can touch, 2 things you can hear, and 1 thing you can taste! This little exercise can help ground you and bring you back to reality when things get a little crazy!
25. Call a friend or family member that you haven’t talked to in a while.
26. Treat Yourself! Order takeout instead of trying to cook dinner. (Thai food for two please!)
27. Meditate! Even 5 minutes of meditation can help to calm your mind and bring you back to the present moment!
28. Ask your family members what they are grateful for.
29. Do a craft! If you follow me on Instagram, you may have seen that I made Christmas cards with a friend this year! Although I am typically the least crafty person, I found this to be extremely relaxing and a fun way to get into the holiday spirit while spending time with friends. 🙂
30. Sit around the table with your family and friends, and focus on being present. Try not to think about work, finances, and commitments. Focus on the moment that you are in, and try to create new memories with the important people in your life!
Take Home Message:
Thank you for reading today. We hope that you found these tips helpful! Remember in this busy time of year to relax, and reflect on the meaning this season holds for you.
Comment below 1 way you plan to relax this holiday season!